Sunday, April 11, 2010

Julia Sugarbaker,Queen of the Rants


I was shocked to hear that the talented actress and one of my favorites- Dixie Carter has passed away. I loved her on Designing Women and what a witch she played on Desperate Housewives. But Julia will always be my favorite character of hers and her rants about a photo shoot. Rest in peace Julia.

"I'm saying I want you and your equipment out of here now. If you are looking for somebody to suck pearls, then I suggest you try finding yourself an oyster. Because I am not a woman who does that, as a matter of fact, I don't know any woman who does that, because it's stupid. And it doesn't have any more to do with decorating than having cleavage and looking sexy has to do with working in a bank. These are not pictures about the women of Atlanta. These are about just the same thing they're always about. And it doesn't matter whether the clothes are on or off... it's just the same ol' message. And I don't care how many pictures you've taken of movie stars - when you start snapping photos of serious, successful businessmen like Donald Trump and Lee Iacocca in unzipped jumpsuits with wet lips, straddling chairs, then we'll talk."

12 comments:

  1. Carlos is always telling me that i can give a good rant, but I showed him, today, some Julia Sugarbaker rants and he saw the difference between my little fits and her magnificence!

    She'll be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always loved her Designing Women character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ep where she defends Suzanne at the beauty pageant reunion. "THAT was the night that the lights went out in Georgia!"

    Ugh. We're losing all the great 80's Ladies :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4/11/2010

    Oh, that's so sad. I hadn't heard that she flipped this life for the next. She was the strongest woman to make a stand since Talllulah Bankhead. I just love a good mouth on a woman to put everyone in check.

    Sweet dreams, Dixie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coco de Mere4/11/2010

    It's wierd that they don't create memorable characters on shows anymore. Julia was one of them. And Dixie was a wonderful actress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't have on the tube this weekend so I didn't see this. I love that woman. She played crazy good to on DH! And I have to say I did watch Family Law and loved her on there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What!!! Such sad news. I think the show was just about done when I was still living there in the states. I remember that show well. The news didn't make it to New Zealand yet. Did they say what she passed of?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was one sassy woman, I say that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Noooooooooooooo, not Julia!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4/11/2010

    Such a sad loss. A very talented and classy lady.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy Toy4/11/2010

    So disappointed that everyone is missing her very best rant - the one where she tells off the client who makes disparaging remarks about her gay friend dying of AIDS-related complications.

    "If God were handing out STD's for sinning, you'd be first in line at the free clinic."

    Ugh. The single best thing a little gay boy could hear on network TV in the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Time to buy Designing woman on DVD. It won't bring her back, and it is a poor substitute for the real lady, but at least there is a part of Dixie still alive in that character. Of course all of us that fell in love with Julia when we were kids/teens have a part of her in us as well.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!