Saturday, November 19, 2011

Who's That Lady, Iris Apfel?????



While perusing the society pages, do you ever wonder who the woman in the over sized, round glasses is? She never fails to be adorned with something bold and eye-catching, always slightly quirky and eclectic, but dressed-to-the-nines nonetheless? She calls herself a 'geriatric starlet' but she's has been one of fashion's muses, inspiring everyone from designers to glossy magazine editors. She is Iris Apfel, a businesswoman, former interior designer, and one of New York City and Palm Beach's own fashion peacocks.



Born Iris Barrel,her family owned a glass and mirror business, and a fashion boutique. Apfel is certainly a part of a unique breed of style icons. I had met her once at one of our charity events through our store's personal shopping consultant and she was a real pistol. We talked a little about fashion and interior design, and she wanted to know why I'm not doing anymore, but that's another story. I immediately loved her style and was very drawn to those glasses! I wonder if there is a fabulous club for stylish women who wear big glasses. Were Sylvia Weinstock, Carrie Donovan, and Iris all friends who think?





She married Carl Apfel in the 40's. Together, they launched the textile firm Old World Weavers and ran it until they retired in 1992 and sold out to Stark textiles. During this time, she built it into one of the most prestigious brands in the world of textiles and interior design and the authority on antique textile reproductions. She also took part in many design restoration projects, including work at the White House for nine presidents: Truman, Eisenhower, Nixon, Kennedy, Johnson, Carter, Reagan, and Clinton.





Her Park Avenue home was featured in Architectural Digest I while back and I found it just as colorful and eccentric as she is!





I just finished reading the book about her and found it highly intresting and very entertaining. Here is a quotation from our fashion Icon regarding accessories, and one myself firmly believe in : “For me the key to personal style lies in accessories. My friends tell me that my oversized glasses and my pairs of bracelets have become my unwritten signature. I have amassed an enormous ‘collection’ of bags, belts, bangles and beads without which I would be lost. One can change the entire look of an outfit by substituting one accessory for another. I love objects from different worlds, different eras, combined my way. Never uptight, achieving – hopefully – a kind of throwaway chic.” Iris Apfel.



Long live this fabulous fashion icon!!!!!!

17 comments:

  1. She's got some serious spunk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The MET did a showing of her "wardrobe" a few years ago and left such an impression­. truly a style icon. Always wanted to "run" into her but never have. Love the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love this woman. I want to be like her when I grow up. She makes the thought of growing older fun and more fun.Fabulous best indeed. She is such an inspiratio­n and role model

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG...Geor­ge Burns returns as a woman.....­freaky!! LOL. She does have style though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I love to see women with over the top fashion at any age! The glasses are a huge distractio­n. But good for her for her over the top fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shared a glass of champagne with her once, she is a heroine of the first order...

    Viva La Boheme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Cool older woman. Could you imagine her being your grandmother and going places with her or to her house?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hats off to you for this post Mistress! I have always adored Iris Apfel. I love her sense of style...on­e of a kind...tak­es guts to carve out your own image...ra­ther than relying on assimilati­on. We as people have really slid down a sorry road when it comes to our appearance and is has started with Hollywood and the stars. People, I don't believe have mirrors in there houses anymore. William never would let me out, unless I'm dressed and heeled, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The book is very good and a must if your into fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wally- that MUST have been SOMETHING! A rare and un- forgetable treat I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She reeks style.
    Loving those glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...it IS refreshing to see and read and get to know a NEW person, an elder too...who rocks with exquisite surprising touches...­..brava..!­! she carries herself well and looks vibrant...­.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Didn't realize she was behind Old World Weavers -- fabulous fabrics!
    She certainly is gutsy unique; I would love to see her Xmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this woman. She's fearless when it's time to step out into the limelight, with all these zany ensembles. She's got a style all her own. Her age, combined with the colors, patterns, and over-sized accessorie­s she wears all make her so unique and different than any other designer I've heard of...she rocks it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing woman. I hope I can pull off that much artistry when I am that age. It certainly shows one it is possible to be confident and colorful at any age. And I HAVE NO IDEA why I would love those glasses?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder if Swifty Lazar knows his mother is still making the rounds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really look up too our elders who are still going out and getting a slice of life pie! Here's to them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is just too fabulous! She definetly isn't from Minnesota!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!