Tuesday, September 25, 2012

In the Lavender Fields

One of the perks of living in Bucks County, is that you can have the best of both worlds. City and country living. If you want to run to the city for some cosmopolitan flair you have Philadelphia only 40 minutes away, but if you want something different, charming, and fun to do, just drive in the other direction toward New Hope, and you find yourself amidst tons of lavender fields. No joke. This past Saturday I finally went to visit the Carousal Farm Lavender, a place I'd passed alot and wanted to visit, and finally did! They are only open on Saturday for the tours.

The Carousel Farm, was first established in 1748, has had many lives over the centuries, a dairy farm, later a horse farm and, in the mid-20th century, an exotic animal farm. When the current owners moved to the farm 10 years ago, their challenge was to put their unique imprint on the farm, maintaining its rural beauty, yet enhancing it with something beyond. The inspiration for Carousel Farm Lavender,one of the largest organic lavender farms on the East Coast, came when they were traveling through the beautiful Provence countryside, where the rolling hills are graced with grape vines and lavender fields, a stunning backdrop of centuries-old field stone barns and farmhouses. The farm, with its field stone farmhouse, 18th century stone barn and rolling fields broken only by field stone walls, seemed the perfect place to replicate the South of France. Their fields, now over seven years old, are nothing short of amazing, and did it ever smell so nice. Carousal Farm has over 15,000 organically-grown plants, each one planted, pruned and harvested by hand. The beauty of their fields is attested to by the many of local painters and photographers who spend their days drawing inspiration from the fields.



There are animals everywhere on the farm to see also, so you might be lucky to see the goats, llamas, horses and more…. I loved the herd of donkeys myself.


An antique wagon at the entrance is loaded with handmade and locally made bath, beauty, home and food products using the organic lavender right from the farm. You can shop from the cart and even pick up a bunch of fresh lavender to take home with you. Pretty cool. You doesn't like lavender under a pillow to sleep by?


It was a beautiful day to go see the farm, and if your in the area be sure to check out this excellent stop while in Bucks County.

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos, and I can't see photos of lavender without imagining that wonderfully intoxicating scent! Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very pretty farm and loved seeing the lavender in the drying room. I can just imagine how fragrant it was. Now if we just had smellblogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bucks has so many hidden jewels! This looks like a wonderful day to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn, I wish the screen was scratch and sniff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of a sudden I'm getting sleepy......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9/25/2012

    Beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maddie,

    It's so beautiful. Thank you for the virtual tour.
    And of course you would like the asses! Ha!! Personally
    I like the llamas.

    Huggs Doll
    CoreyJo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember trying to find that place off Mechanicsville Road and thought I'd never find it!!! My mother loves lavender so I thought I'd make the trek. It was quite beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice field trip Mistress! And I agree with Corey on the ass crack!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I could have just one thing in my garden it would be lavender! Neat day trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your journey with us! I love lavender. They are so sweetly old-fashioned and romantic. I tried growing them once, but they didn't do well. Perhaps I'll try again...

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!