Friday, January 17, 2014

THE EVoLuTION OF RuPAUL

There have been many stunning, and talented, and brave drag queens over time..... all shattering that glass ceiling, each adding their mark in gay history, but when RuPaul  emerged, she hit with a vengeance!!!! If you were big into the club scene like yours truly, she was around for quite some time before the Goddess you see now. I truly believe she is one of the main forces drag is so accepted now, more freely. RuPaul's best known as simply RuPaul, and is a actor, drag queen, model, author, and recording artist, who first became widely known in the 1990s when he appeared in a wide variety of television programs, films, and musical albums. Previously, he was a fixture on the Atlanta and New York City club scenes. I have met RuPaul on two occasions, what you see is what you get! Very hospitable, kind and funny as hell. RuPaul was born in San Diego, California. His name was given to him by his mother, a Louisiana native. The "Ru" came from roux, an ingredient used in gumbo.  RuPaul struggled as a musician and filmmaker in Atlanta during the 1980s. He participated in underground cinema, helping create the low-budget film Star Booty, and an album by the same name. In Atlanta, RuPaul often performed at the Celebrity Club as a bar dancer or with his band, Wee Wee Pole. RuPaul's first prominent national exposure came in 1989 with an extra role dancing in the video for "Love Shack" by The B-52's.
 
In the early 1990s, RuPaul worked the Georgia club scene and was known by his full birth name. Initially participating in genderfuck-style performances, RuPaul performed solo and in collaboration with other bands at several New York nightclubs, most notably the Pyramid Club. It wasn't long before he and friend Lady Bunny both moved to NYC permanently. He played opposite New York City drag performer, Mona Foote in the one act Sci-Fi parody "My Pet Homo".  In the 1990's. It wasn't long before her first hit  Super Model of the World took off with the release, Super Model You Better Work. And if you were in the club scene, followed by A Shade Shady, my personal favorite-House of Love, Back to Roots, and two years later,  with Foxy Lady, A Little Bit of Love and Snap Shot. Over the years she went on to a talk show, a radio show with Michelle Visage, movies, a book, and ultimately more dance singles and of course, RuPaul Drag Race. And everybody, gay or straight I know just loves this fun loving drag queen, and how can one not love him!?!?!? Part of it is he really makes people feel comfortable in his presence I believe. But whatever it is, he really will be in the gay history books for making such strides. And like a Virginia Slim, she's come along way baby......
 
 

21 comments:

  1. RuPaul learned his art and craft in the trenches! He deserves every bit of success that has come along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RuPaul really works it. And keeps working it. She like the Energizer Drag Superstar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. RuPaul is a true Pop Icon. LOVES HER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SAHSAY! CHANTÉ! You can't have gay history without RuPaul, a definite icon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel she IS the drag queen to exit drag from undeground and make no return ! and many his songs will always remind me of coming out in the 90's, my god it was so much fun back then! music on the scene these days is soooooooooooooo boring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may be bold in saying this, but I feel RuPaul is a true hero. Not only gay, but a drag queen, I rememeber when he emerged , after my time out on the town, very little people disliked him- shockingly. I think they just forgot about him being gay and drag, because he didn't make a big deal of it. Like you said he is just so fun and light hearted. And those pictures. Thanks for that timeline...wow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Rupaul!!..He's like Dolly Parton to me !!..Both sexy as hell and go to the world love me or hate me but live thier lifes.... both are legends . Dolly is a drag queen right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. RuPaul is just fabulous, a mentor-- but probably nothing describes him better then the word "Sensation." And when he burst onto the scene in the 1990's and told us all- the public you better work!" now that's a bold and fabulous entrance!!!!! Why the hell didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a lot of respect for Rupaul. He broke down such barriers of perception our gay communities around the world and continuous to do so. I take my wig off to you RuPaul.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I want to do is just hug him! He's such an angel and such an amazing person!

    ReplyDelete

  11. Great man!!!, we met him before on Christopher street when we lived in nyc in the 90's, he was heading to work at KTU. Gave us great advice to always love your self, each other and be safe, u can always do better, Never forgot it, glad he became a success!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The world needs more men like Ru! Rupaul is a icon and a true inspiration for the gay community.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic! nice to have some insight into the person behind the character! what a great human being! a truly great role model! He has really come a long way, those pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful - everybody say LOVE!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. He is sooo beautiful. You can definately see his spirit and it is wonderful .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1/18/2014

    You can't think of drag without thinking about RuPaul. She is such a force of nature not only does she command whatever room she's in but also the one next to it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rupaul is my hero. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  18. He's intelligent, knowledgeable of himself and his celebrity, funny, and real. I Love You Ru! Wonderful post, thanks.He truly does inspire me. And I'm a real woman!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing powerful person with an amazing insite into the true human nature. he knows the truth and uses it in the right way. And his early pictures shocked me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I was 4 I wanted to be Rupaul. 20 years later I still do!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's because of what Ru has done that something like Drag Race exist and maintain such awesome popularity. I love the work put forth and would die to meet Rupaul some day...

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!