Sunday, January 26, 2014

USUAL WINTER SUSPECTS


Since we have been having all these extreme cold temperatures, everybody I know, knows how I become reclusive to the comfy confines of my abode. While I love all our seasons, I am definitely a spring summer person, as I love to lay with the boys at my beloved Raven Resort at the pool. This time also gives me a chance to recharge before play season. About one of my only joys, bedside curling up with some good wine, and long candle lit nights is watching my feathered friends out my windows. I have a bird oasis on our grounds here.I love feeding the birds because it gives me something interesting to look at all winter long. Many here in the cul de sac have feeders on the grounds of various types, and we tend to the ones nearest our place. And yesterday with my coffee was a feeding frenzy of all types!!!!  above was a Tufted Titmouse waiting to get to the window sill for some thistle seed. It's such a sweet looking bird. In my case, I can get right up to the window without them flying away. Juncos are the first to arrive most mornings, some call them our snow birds, and there one of my favorite to watch........
 
 
Here is one peeking into the windows.....
 
 
Juncos have quite the pecking order. When it comes to feeding the dominate males feed first, then the secondary males, then the older females and lastly the young females. I have wondered why the tree gets loaded with them, when I have two sills long enough to house them all, and only two at a time will be on the sill to feed. Other birds will feed with them, but never more then two Junco's at a time. On the hanging feeder..... a house finch and not sure what the other beauty is, maybe some kind of blue bird???
 
 
And on the stake holders outside the door were a chickadee, cardinal and some sparrows....
 
 

 I buy big 30 lb bags of birdseed and black oil sunflower seeds at the local farm market to keep our feathered friends fed all winter long. I also put out suet for all the woodpeckers and clinging birds. I'm never quick enough with the camera with them. My neighbor Nathan who helps fill the feeders with me snapped yours truly filling one of the many feeders......


This winter so far has brought  blue jays, mourning doves, chickadees, house wrens, house sparrows, phoebes,towhees, goldfinches, purple finches, downy woodpeckers, hairy woodpeckers, and of course we have tons of  the cardinals. And you may remember a couple weeks ago my pictures of the dear confused Robins!!!!!! Even my squirrel Bouvier gets into the seed, with an apparent friends of his now. Even though, I leave him peanuts and hazelnuts each day.
 
 
 
Yesterday morning Bouvier actually came to the window to receive his nut selection....
 
 
Feeding the birds not only gives me something interesting to do and watch during the winter, but it helps the birds stay strong and healthy through the cold winter months. In the summer most of these birds stay around, but the bright yellow finch will return.  I’ll keep feeding my little feathered friends and providing them with nice homes to keep them happy. Meanwhile, the Lady from the lake bird preserve came back two weeks ago to check up on the rare Little Owl. She hadn't moved from her spot. In these temps and being so far off course it's a miracle she hasn't frozen to death. But she has built quite a nest in the hole of a tree. Rarely been seen, except in the afternoon. She is wise.
 
 

29 comments:

  1. looks like the scene outside my living room window also!

    I have whitetail deer eating the seed when they cannot find anything else to munch.

    "to receive his nut selection" - always giving your nuts to somebody, aren't you? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have many deer too, but they stay in the large open court here to graze at night, and don't get to close to the apt buildings where the feeders are. I have also seen two foxes. Of course buster thinks their other dogs.

      Delete
  2. I love feeding the birds. It does get frustrating at times, because the squirrels can wipe out a feeder in less than an hour.

    I often scatter seed over our patio and yard which is good viewing from my comfy reading spot in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why they interesting to watch but they are. And I love as close as o can get.

      Delete
  3. We’ve been thinking about it this year, and I think we’ll pick some seed up once we find feeders that won’t end up being squirrel feeders. We have a *lot* of squirrels. We have a lot of woodpeckers, too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peckers are so fun to watch and so beautiful too!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post! From boys to birds!!!!!!! I keep TWO birdbaths heated all winter for the guys who are around at the neighbors’ feeders. Birds of all sorts come regularly including crows. They turn off when the temp. hits a certain degree. I love watching birds any time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to add a bird bath, but I would have to look at the complex bi laws. Right on the grounds is a small stream though and a HUGE lake up the road.

      Delete
  5. We have a small statue of an Asian woman on the front porch and it's become quite the perch for the local Cardinals.
    They seem to fight for space on the Lady Quan's head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what gal doesn't need that extra accessory? Cardinals are one of my favorites.

      Delete
  6. I like the softer side of Mistress Maddie. Great pics... thanks for sharing! Happy Bird Watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mac. There are many sides to me, and I'll be doing my regular postings like this once drag months ends. My suitors would argue they like the harder side!

      Delete
  7. What an incredible assortment of beautiful birds you get at your feeders! Not to mention the squirrel(s).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bouvier is quite something. Most mornings what I didn't mention is he runs to the door to take the peanut right from me. Its so cute.

      Delete
  8. My parents, at their house in Central Oregon, had a couple of jays who would, upon the occasion my parents slept in, would fly to their bedroom window to set up a racket so they would get up and fill the bird feeders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of jays here this winter. Once seed is out they get big and brazen for their britches and want fed when supply is out. No window racket but lots of squawking.

      Delete
  9. Your so brave to feed the squirrels. Mine have done such damage, I had a trapper come to set traps and haul them far away, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only well behaved squirrels here. I'm not to be trifled with.

      Delete
  10. At out house in town I have a few Shepards hooks with feeders. Same here all sorts of birds. I remember think how old my parents seemed watching birds, like old people activity. Now they laugh me because I gave in. Who knew they were so fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the tufted titmouse is my favorite bird. It really is a sweet bird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Them and the juncos are both such gentle birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What nice birds you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and these days it's hard to keep the Mistress's bird from getting out.

      Delete
  14. I love my birds. I have a couple of pairs of cardinals that have been with me for years. This time of the year is great because the woodpeckers come to the feeder and you can actually see them in the trees with so little foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful shots! No, I’ve never been much of a bird feeder but I used to have a hummingbird feeder several years ago. And I guess you could say I had a hummingbird feeder when I grew my 15-foot tower of morning glories

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing like morning coffee and some bird watching in the morning to get the day started.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous1/26/2014

    I don't get any of that fun stuff. I live where it's warm and one of my cats is always peering out the window for a feathered friend to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How kind of you to leave out forrage for the critters in such hard times... and they come in such pretty colours... Some of them would look lovely stuffed an popped on a hat darling...Oh what am I thinking... Stuffed squirrels would be far too heavy...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful post! I can't attract birds and have no green thumb, so there is no hope.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!